- Mr. Ickkshaanshu Sonkar, Research Scholar under the supervision of Prof. K.S. Hari Prasad, Civil Engineering, successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis titled “MODELLING MOISTURE FLOW IN ROOT ZONE: ESTIMATION OF ROOT WATER UPTAKE AND SOIL HYDRAULIC PARAMETERS” on September 17, 2019. The External examiner was Prof. Balaji Narsimhan, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Madras. On behalf of the Department and my own behalf, I extend sincere congratulation to Mr. Ickkshaanshu Sonkar ........... Posted On: 17 Sep, 2019
- Vishwakarma Jayanti celebration @ CED Posted On: 17 Sep, 2019
- Mr. Bhishm Singh Khati , Research Scholar under the supervision of Dr. Viswas A. Sawant, Associate Professor, Civil Engg, successfully defended his Ph.D thesis titled “ Experimental Studies on Laterally Loaded Piles Near Sloping Ground ” on Sept 12, 2019. The External examiner was Prof. Deepanker Chowdhury, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Bombay. On behalf of the Department and my own behalf, I extend sincere congratulation ..................... Posted On: 14 Sep, 2019
- Mr. Chetan Sharma, Research Scholar under the supervision of Prof. C.S.P. Ojha, Civil Engineering, successfully defended his Ph.D thesis titled “ ASSESSMENT OF THE EFFECT OF CLIMATE CHANGE IN GANGA RIVER BASIN ” on September 9, 2019. The External examiner was Prof. Raaj Ramsankaran, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Bombay. On behalf of the Department and my own behalf, I extend sincere congratulation to Mr. Chetan Sharma and wish him also the best for all successful professional career. Posted On: 11 Sep, 2019
- Short term training course on “HYDRAULIC AND STRUCTURAL DESIGN OF DAMS” has been successfully completed on Dt: Sept 4, 2019 at Department of Civil Engineering, IIT, Roorkee Posted On: 07 Sep, 2019
- Prof. Indrajit Ghosh has been appointed as a Member of Traffic Control Devices Standing Committee (AHB50) by Transportation Research Board (TRB) of the National Academies, Washington D.C., USA. Posted On: 07 Sep, 2019
- Mudit Kapoor, research scholar of Civil Engineering Department, IIT Roorkee received AWSAR (Augmented Writing Skills for Articulating Research)-2018 award by DST, GoI for Ph.D. research work. Posted On: 03 Sep, 2019
- Swati Dahiya current PhD student of Environmental Engineering Group, she has got best poster award in an international conference i.e. 27th European Biomass Conference and Exhibition held in Lisbon, portugal during 27th-30th May 2019.Congratulations to her and her able Supervisor Prof. Pradeep Kumar and Dr. Raja Chowdhury. Posted On: 03 Sep, 2019
- Ankit Sharma current PhD student of Transportation Engineering Group has been nominated for 2019 Prime Minister's Fellowship for Doctoral Research with industry partner shell India Markets Pvt. Ltd. This is a unique scholarship scheme of Science and Engineering Research Board, Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India Coordinated By FICCI, Congratulations to him and his able Supervisor Dr. G.D. Ransinchung R.N. Posted On: 03 Sep, 2019
- Short term training course on “HYDRAULIC AND STRUCTURAL DESIGN OF DAMS” Course coordinator PROF. Z. AHMED” Dated: 2 - 4 sept, 2019 at Committee Room, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT, Roorkee Posted On: 31 Aug, 2019
The Department of Civil Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee is the oldest and the largest in the country. It was established on November 25, 1847 as Roorkee Civil Engineering College and renamed as Thomason College of Civil Engineering in 1854. The department has produced several eminent engineers who have made significant contributions in the planning and execution of Civil Engineering projects in India as well as abroad.
The Department offers a four-year course leading to the Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering and two-year courses leading to Master’s degree in seven major specialisations of civil engineering (viz., Building Science and Technology, Environmental Engineering, Geomatics Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Hydraulics Engineering, Structural Engineering and Transportation Engineering). In total there are 577 students pursuing Bachelors degree and 182 students pursuing Masters Degree in the department. These programmes are supported with strong doctoral programmes in all the specialisations. More than 243 Ph. D. research scholars are currently working in the department on emerging research areas. There are currently 21 Professors, 11 Associate Professors, 11 Assistant Professors and 1 Technical Officer working in the department.
The Department is known for its internationally reputed faculty having expertise in diverse fields. It has built up a wide research potential. The research programmes of the department are funded by various agencies such as Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Max Planck Society Germany, Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science & Technology (MEXT), Department of Science & Technology (DST), Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA), Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO), Ministry of Environment & Forests (MoEF), Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), Uttarakhand Council of Science & Technology (UCOST) etc.
The faculty of the department continues to strive loftier by exploring new frontiers of knowledge, imparting the latest technical knowledge to the students and conducting high quality of research. The faculty also renders technical advice on live engineering problems to various Government and Private Sector companies throughout country.
Now is the time for new ideas and ambitions, for communities to work together to solve the many challenges facing society. Our department has a rich history of producing innovations and innovators, world class designers and builders, leading practitioners and public servants….