- Inaugural program - Regional Workshop on Quality Control New Materials and Techniques in Road Sector @Civil Engineering Department, IIT Roorkee 7th Feb 2020 Posted On: 08 Feb, 2020
- Mr. Kapil Kumar Dubey (CED Office) and Mr. Rajagiri (Geomatics Engineering Group) received the award and cash prize as the best performer of the Civil Engineering Department on Republic Day and also honoured by Head of department Posted On: 29 Jan, 2020
- CIVIL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT PROUDLY LAUNCHED NEW WEBSITE WWW.CIVIL.IITR.AC.IN Posted On: 27 Jan, 2020
- REGIONAL WORKSHOP ON “QUALITY CONTROL – NEW MATERIALS & TECHNIQUES IN ROAD SECTOR" February 7-8, 2020 Posted On: 21 Jan, 2020
- Madhumita Paul, Nominated for financial support under the scheme of Partial support to present papers in Good International Conferences/Workshops/Symposia, The Tranportation Research Board (TRB), 99th Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., USA (Jan 12-16 in San Francisco, USA), 2020 Posted On: 17 Jan, 2020
- Preeti Verma, Soumya Sucharita Behera & Mudit Kapoor Nominated for financial support under the scheme of Partial support to present papers in Good International Conferences/Workshops/Symposia, AGU Fall Meeting (Dec 9-13 in San Francisco, USA), 2019 Posted On: 17 Jan, 2020
- Newton Bhabha PhD Nomination funded by UK Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Energy (BEIS), India Posted On: 14 Jan, 2020
- Mr. Rajesh C. Mathur was visited the Civil Engineering Department He is Vice Chairman of the Board of NIIT GIS Ltd., a Joint venture between NIIT Technologies Ltd. and ESRI, Inc. In this event, The Head of the Department Professor S. K. Ghosh, Prof.P. K. Garg, Prof. J. K. Ghosh , Prof. Arun Kumar Saraf from Earth Science Department and Prof. Navneet Kumar Gupta, Institute of Computer center was present, he discussed about Geo-Spatial Technology. Posted On: 10 Jan, 2020
- Welcome new faculty members in Geotechnical Engineering Group Dr. Aditya Kumar Singh. This is for information of all concerned that Dr. Aditya Kumar Singh has joined the Department of Civil Engineering as Assistant Professor on January 1, 2020 In the spirit of welcoming our newest faculty members, I would also like to thank all of you. Posted On: 01 Jan, 2020
- Mr. Mudit Kapoor, Research Scholar under the supervision of Dr. R.D. Garg, Professor of Civil Engineering, successfully defended his Ph.D thesis titled “ESTIMATION OF SOLAR POTENTIAL USING GEOSPATIAL TECHNIQUES AND BIG DATA IN CLOUD COMPUTING ENVIRONMENT” on Dec 30, 2019. The External examiner was Prof. Anurag Ohri, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology - BHU. On behalf of the Department and my own behalf, I extend sincere congratulation to ................... Posted On: 30 Dec, 2019
The Department of Civil Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee is the oldest and the largest in the country. It was established on November 25, 1847 as Roorkee Civil Engineering College and renamed as Thomason College of Civil Engineering in 1854. The department has produced several eminent engineers who have made significant contributions in the planning and execution of Civil Engineering projects in India as well as abroad.
The Department offers a four-year course leading to the Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering and two-year courses leading to Master’s degree in seven major specialisations of civil engineering (viz., Building Science and Technology, Environmental Engineering, Geomatics Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Hydraulics Engineering, Structural Engineering and Transportation Engineering). In total there are 577 students pursuing Bachelors degree and 182 students pursuing Masters Degree in the department. These programmes are supported with strong doctoral programmes in all the specialisations. More than 243 Ph. D. research scholars are currently working in the department on emerging research areas. There are currently 21 Professors, 11 Associate Professors, 11 Assistant Professors and 1 Technical Officer working in the department.
The Department is known for its internationally reputed faculty having expertise in diverse fields. It has built up a wide research potential. The research programmes of the department are funded by various agencies such as Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Max Planck Society Germany, Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science & Technology (MEXT), Department of Science & Technology (DST), Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA), Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO), Ministry of Environment & Forests (MoEF), Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), Uttarakhand Council of Science & Technology (UCOST) etc.
The faculty of the department continues to strive loftier by exploring new frontiers of knowledge, imparting the latest technical knowledge to the students and conducting high quality of research. The faculty also renders technical advice on live engineering problems to various Government and Private Sector companies throughout country.
Now is the time for new ideas and ambitions, for communities to work together to solve the many challenges facing society. Our department has a rich history of producing innovations and innovators, world class designers and builders, leading practitioners and public servants….